Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

cryptic_79 (Software Professional)     30 March 2016

Divorce alimony settlement

Hi All,
I am going through divorce negotiations with my wife and she has asked for X amount as settlement. I am prepared to pay upto 50% of what she is asking. She is well educated and knows that she might not get much maintainance if she goes to court.Also she was the one who willfully deserted me and has now approached me for mutual consent divorce.
The period of separation between us is almost 2 yrs.She has not filed any cases in the last 2 years of separation but tried to file a false case in police regarding her jewellery against me and my family but was unsuccessful in her attempt as we had taken all necessary precautions beforehand.
She has now sent me an email that her parents do not want her to stay with them and are insisting that she stays somewhere else . She is saying she is helpless and needs my help which i know is just to extract money from me and justifying the amount which she is quoting. She is saying the lumsum amount will help her start a new life. My question is
1) Is it ok to reply to her email by reiterating our offer which we alreay made for mutual divorce and saying  that no further communication is needed if the amount is not agreeable to her. Our local lawyer is advising to reply. I was thinking if there will be any adverse impact of replying and disagreeing to her money settlement amount  for living elsewhere.
Any help would be great. 
Thanks a lot.

Learning

4 Replies

KS Johal   30 March 2016

You have stated that she is there asking for x amount, there is no harm in revealing what she is asking for since we do not know your name or her name at all. We also do not know what profession you are in or that she is in. I appreciate that she was trying to file a false case and you state that you had taken all necessary precautions, could you please reveal what precautions you had taken? I also understand that she is stating that the lump sum will help her start a new life. The question here is if she is working this would have an impact on her lump sum. Is she working or is she a housewife? You also have stated that she is well educated what are her qualifications? Your main question was is it ok if I reply via email? Not knowing some of the facts could jeopardize the negotiation process, i.e. you may need to agree on a higher amount than a smaller amount. The other question you raised was that 'no further communication should be made unless you agree to the amount offered'. In my opinion I feel this will allow the communication to close rather than to stay open and negotiate further. On the other hand you may think that by stating what you had suggested will allow her to accept what is being offered. Contrary to this she may go to court and be offered a higher amount. I hope some of these suggestions may help you even if you intend not to provide information that I had suggested, because I feel you are also highly educated and know what you are doing. Please do not hesitate to raise issues of concern in the future, we are all here to help out. KS Johal

KS Johal   30 March 2016

You have stated that she is there asking for x amount, there is no harm in revealing what she is asking for since we do not know your name or her name at all. We also do not know what profession you are in or that she is in. I appreciate that she was trying to file a false case and you state that you had taken all necessary precautions, could you please reveal what precautions you had taken? I also understand that she is stating that the lump sum will help her start a new life. The question here is if she is working this would have an impact on her lump sum. Is she working or is she a housewife? You also have stated that she is well educated what are her qualifications? Your main question was is it ok if I reply via email? Not knowing some of the facts could jeopardize the negotiation process, i.e. you may need to agree on a higher amount than a smaller amount. The other question you raised was that 'no further communication should be made unless you agree to the amount offered'. In my opinion I feel this will allow the communication to close rather than to stay open and negotiate further. On the other hand you may think that by stating what you had suggested will allow her to accept what is being offered. Contrary to this she may go to court and be offered a higher amount. I hope some of these suggestions may help you even if you intend not to provide information that I had suggested, because I feel you are also highly educated and know what you are doing. Please do not hesitate to raise issues of concern in the future, we are all here to help out. KS Johal

KS Johal   30 March 2016

Simple mistake in the first sentence. please delete the word 'there'.

Born Fighter (xxx)     31 March 2016

It all depends on what you are earning and what she is demanding.

Remember its a game of TIME. If you can afford just negotiate and pay her off. Money lost can be earned back, but if time is lost you will lose peace,health,freedom and the list goes on.

Be humble and do not use conditions while you are negotiating as u need to keep the channel open. While putting your views across let the court know (if the time comes) how mature and logical u were in negotiating for a dignified exit.

All the Best !!

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register