LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Santosh   24 September 2024

Dowry related

My wife's father had given Rs.3 lakhs via cheque which my brother encashed from his account (for shopping) and Rs.4 Lakhs on our marriage a gift to us. Now, he and his daughter had filed a FIR regarding dowry saying that the 3 lakhs were demanded from them for the purpose of dowry. And the 4 lakhs also. They have attached the bank passbook copy of their account. My brother is a government employee. Is there any chance that my brother can lose his job or anything adverse can happen. And how to get out of this. 

Learning

3 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     24 September 2024

First let him challenge the same on the basis of documentatry evidences in his support wait for the court to decide. 

The police have to file charge sheet before court where this matter can be challenged in the trial proceedings. 

Dr. J C Vashista (Advocate )     25 September 2024

The cheque is stated to have been issued in your marriage, allegedly for the prupose of dowry. by your father-in-law got encashed by your brother ?

Demanding/ acceptance as well as donating/giving dowry is an offence under the provisions of Dowery Prohibition Act, 1961.

Although the case may have adverse affect on the career of your brother, when proved, yet he is required to contest it tooth and nail.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register