LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Shantanu Wavhal (Worker)     01 March 2012

Free legal assistance

Under which act / section can a respondent wife request for Free Legal Assistance ?

What kind of assistance is generally granted ?

Learning

2 Replies

meenu (EA)     01 March 2012

When angel was born, everybody was happy in the family. I am a working lady. My mother-in-law wanted to keep angel. She told me that as I am working I will not be able to take care of her so keep the child here. You can take her when she is at age of 3 years. I agreed on this. 3 years passed.. Whenever I asked her to handover Angel to me, she changed the topic. Now, When I insisted that she should handover her to me, she ran away from the house without telling me where she is going and created a different picture in front of other relatives. Even my father-in-law has also supporting her. She is telling me that I can take her when she will leave this world. Whenever she required my support in terms of finance or moral support, I have given her. Everybody in the family are supporting her. Is this justified??? Please advice…

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     01 March 2012

@ Author

1.     The National Legal Services Authority (NALSA) has been constituted under the Legal Services Authorities Act, 1987 to provide free Legal Services to the weaker sections of the society and to organize Lok Adalats for amicable settlement of disputes.

Under S. 12 of the Act legal aid moreover to destitute wife is provided and is a benevolent Scheme. Previously there was upper limit prescribed to avail relief’s under the Scheme but now that upper limit (income) has been removed. 

@ Meenu

Yes it is justified.
Reasoning: "Best interest of child" is better off with MIL than with natural mother. Guardianships and Wards Act supports her (MIL) and if you like to test the reply then try filing a custody petition in Jurisdiction court. You will end up getting only 'visitation' though you are Angel's natural mother.  

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register