LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Vijay (Computer engineer)     25 October 2010

Settlement deed clarification

I am Vijay residing in chennai. My mother has given me a property as "settlement" in the year2004. She bought the property in the year 1978. I want to re-construct that old house now. But, i have a doubt whether my 3 sisters can claim for the shares in future. We have already given the dowry for 2 sisters and for the elder sister part of the house has been given as settlement in the year1999 by my parents.   My sisters did not put signature in settlement deed given for me.When i checked with the advocate he confirmed that i have full rights on the property. but many others are keep on saying that after my mother my sisters can file a case on the property for the shares. Is it true? myself and my mother wanted to make sure about this. If it is possible for them to claim shares we will sale the house other wise we will proceed further to re-construct the house.

Learning

3 Replies

Raj Kumar Makkad (Adv P & H High Court Chandigarh)     25 October 2010

Dont be panic. Registered settlement deed is a valid document giving exclusive rights of the property in your favour which cannot be agitated even after death of your mother because it is the self acquired property of your mother. You have no need to sale it only because your sister can chellenge the settlement deed at any later stage or she can claim any share therein.

SACHIN AGARWAL (ADVOCATE)     26 October 2010

I agree with Mr. Makkad.

A.VIVEK ADVOCATE (ADVOCATE)     31 January 2011

I ALSO AGREE WITH THE ABOVE MEMBERS

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register