LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Roshni B.. (For justice and dignity)     10 November 2010

Sons demand elderly mother's property,to take care of her!

Mother care, for a ‘price’

Bhatar (Burdwan), Nov. 2: The sons of a former Burdwan MLA who drove their septuagenarian widowed mother out of her own home have agreed to “shelter” and feed her at a price: a sliver of land that is her last property.

Dulalisundari Hazra has accepted the condition and will stay with Asim and Asit, both of whom had refused to keep her citing a litany of excuses, for six months each. “I am feeling happy. But you can’t get food and shelter for nothing, not even from your sons,” the 76-year-old said after coming back home at Palar village in Burdwan’s Bhatar today.

Driven out a year and a half ago, Dulalisundari had recently sought police help after failing to get any aid from the Congress, the party her husband Shantimoy had represented as an MLA in 1969.

Sanjay Kundu, the officer in charge of Bhatar police station, warned the sons of criminal proceedings if they threw out their mother again. He held a meeting last evening with Dulalisundari’s sons and one of her daughters after The Telegraph reported her plight in its October 29 edition.

“I told Asim and Asit that if they threw out their mother again, criminal cases would be initiated against them. I will monitor the situation,” Kundu said.

Under the Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act, 2008, a son who inherits the property of his father or mother has to look after them when they are in need and pay for their maintenance. Shantimoy died of heart attack on January 20, 2008, leaving behind his wife, two sons and four daughters, all of whom are married.

At the meeting yesterday, Asim, 55, the elder of the brothers, told officer Kundu that he had a 30-year-old unemployed son. “He (Asim) asked Dulalisundari for the 1.5 cottah land, located in the market to set up a grocery shop for his son Arup. His mother agreed to help her grandson but her younger son Asit also claimed a share of the plot. So, Dulalisundari decided to divide the plot equally between the sons,” Kundu said.

The Rs 3,000 — half of her husband’s MLA pension which Asit, 50, had asked Dulalisundari to hand over and threw her out when she refused — that Dulalisundari gets will be deposited in a bank for her needs.

https://www.telegraphindia.com/1101103/jsp/bengal/story_13133570.jsp

Learning

1 Replies

Adv. G.Narayan ( Advocate & Legal Consultant)     10 November 2010

Dear Roshni B!

I don't  know why you have posted this news. If your intenton is to show that all the sons are selfish and don't take of their elders then you are quite mistaken. This may  be an individual case but not as a general rule. I am representing one of my clients in a case where one 74 years old lady has filed a case against her only son for maintenance U/S 125 of Cr.P.C. and also under various sections of PWDV Act-2005. The fact of the case is that the mother  is getting a monthly family pensions over Rs. 8000/- pm from Govt. of India. She is having around Rs. 4 lakhs in Saving Bank Accounts and over Rs. 6 lakhs as fixed deposits with various banks. Not only this she owns a 2 BHK flat in a posh Delhi colony. On the other hand the son  around 50 yrs of age doesn't have any source of income. Whatever he earned in the past spent on the marriages of his three sisters. The reason why the mother filed this cases against her son is that she doesn't like her Daughter-in-law and her son didn't divorce his wife as per dictates of his mother and sisters.Two sisters want to grab the property owned my the mother that is why they insigated the mother to file false case against her son and even DIL.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register