LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Mayur Patel (Job)     18 August 2021

Stamp duty payable for a property purchase through a public auction (by bank) und sarfaesi act

If highest bidding amount in the auction conducted is less than the jantri valuation (A.S.R. valuation), on what basis the stamp duty is calculated in Gujarat?

For example, someone purchases a property through a bank auction under SARFAESI act with highest bid of 40,00,000 INR. However, when he goes to sub registrar's office, valuation as per jantri rate (A.S.R.) is 90,00,000.

Shall the 40,00,000 INR be considered as market value for calculation of stamp duty or 90,00,000 be considered as market value for calculation of stamp duty?

There are 2 anomalies:

1) as per https://stampsregistration.gujarat.gov.in/validation-jantri-stamp-duty-charges, there is a clause "Property sold by auction and tender procedure
In such case the A.S.R. determined value and the value shown in the document, whichever of the two is higher the said market value will have to be concerned."

2) There is also an High Court of Gujarat judgement, https://indiankanoon.org/doc/39560327/ , putting judgement as per my understanding that market value shall be the highest bid amount irrespective of jantri (A.S.R)

What is the answer in this case? as per https://stampsregistration.gujarat.gov.in/validation-jantri-stamp-duty-charges, there is a clause "Property sold by auction and tender procedure
In such case the A.S.R. determined value and the value shown in the document, whichever of the two is higher the said market value will have to be concerned." and High court of Gujarat judgement are correlating or not?

Disclaimer: I am not a law person. So, unintentionally, I might have made some mistakes in using words or language. My intention is not to challenge any person or government authority or Honorable High Court. This is a genuine query raised for a confusing challange encountered to a non-law person.

Learning

7 Replies

kavksatyanarayana (subregistrar/supdt.(retired))     18 August 2021

Under SARFAESI Act, the SR shall collect the stamp duty as mentioned in the auction sale deed.  The auction sale price shall be taken to levy stamp duty under the SARFAESI act in more States.

Mayur Patel (Job)     18 August 2021

For Gujarat state, what is applicable? 

Highest bid amount or jantri valuation (A.S.R.) as per govn. record? ? ? 

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     19 August 2021

You can file RTI Application to the District Registrar and can seek such a copy of the laid down order/notification/circular that states the norm for calculation of registration fee when the auction purchase was less than market value. register of sub-registrar. If you think that the norm/order/circular is not justified, you may have to file a writ seeking High court directions.

P. Venu (Advocate)     19 August 2021

there is no legal basis for collecting stamp duty at a value higher than the consideration realised in a public auction. The law as well  the norms of the Government stands modified as held by the High Court.

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     20 August 2021

Generally all states charge stamp duty on circle rate but not less than that rate even if auction money is less than it. 

However, it is a State subject, consult a local lawyer.

Mayur Patel (Job)     28 December 2021

Thank you for the answer. 

I would be thankful to you if you may share me some court decision on similar cases. 

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     29 December 2021

Just make a google search and you can find earlier judgments:  Key words for search: Stamp duty payable on property purchased from bank in auction under SARFAESI Act

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register