LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ganesh (SSE)     25 May 2014

Changing my wife's maiden name after marriage

I want my wife's name changed from 'Preethi Ramdas Bhat' to 'Preethi Ganesh' after marriage. 'Ramdas Bhat' is my father in law's name while 'Ganesh' is  my name.

I have gone through a number of forums and posts on the internet. I could not get a consistent method for changing name. Here are the different approaches I came across:

1. Have an affidavit, publish in newspaper and publish in government.

2. Affidavit or publication in gazette. That is, doing one of them is enough. There is no mention of publication in newspaper.

3. For change of name after marriage only marriage certificate is enough

I think, for passport and PAN card with the new name only marriage certificate is enough. Now my question is are affidavit, publication in newspaper and gazette are really required? What are the consequences if I don't get done these 3 things?

Learning

3 Replies

BHARTI KOTHARI (practising advocate)     25 May 2014

please prepare affidavit and also give the same in gazzate as the both will do the needful and are also less expensive.

regards,

adv. Bharat Kothari.

ANAMIKA VICHARE (LAWYER)     28 May 2014

Whether your wife also wishes to change her name then you exercise all the options...but after your marriage you need not go specially for these exercise marrige certificate is the proof, she can go to every authority where change of name is required..i.e. Banker..etc fill up form only attach proof of marriage....

But let me tell you....You are so harsh on thename change....you better change yourself...changing name does not serve purpose of leading good matrimonial life....

In a nutshell you need not exercise the options given by you

Ganesh (SSE)     28 May 2014

I did not mention it in my post, actually it is my wife who is insisting on changing the name herself. I don't have any issues with her old name. 

So you are saying that marriage certificate is enough. But should it have the new name in it? 

Also, what I really want to know is what are consequences of not following the procedure of changing name which I mentioned initially. I can always have PAN card and passport with the new name with the help of marriage certificate. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register