LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rahul   27 February 2017

Cyber Crime

My father has been a victim of cyber crime. The person called my father and stated himself from State Bank group and asked my father to provide debit card details so as he would unblock the card and he provided the same. He earlier received a message that your debit card has been blocked, and the debit card was also not working in any ATM which later turned about to be a fake message and my father being innocent trusted the message and provided all details to the caller. He then received a message "Thank you for your purchase of ₹5000 at sbibuddy app" and then second message again of ₹7000 at olacabs com. My father showed me the messages and I immediately blocked the card by calling the customer care helpline. And then I reached the nearest police station to get a FIR registered or even a DDR but police didn't do any of the two. What should I do now? Regards

Learning

5 Replies

(Guest)

You yourself gave away pin code.  What can anyone do? 421 IPC case will apply, but what will fraud/mischief case result be? 12000/- gone, complaint and case will take same amount of money and time in court extra. Better ask puppaji to be careful next time, its your duty to make him understand scams, fake messages, lottery messages etc.

NATARAJAN IYER (Proprietor)     27 February 2017

File a PCR via an advocate and the Police will investigate.

Spend some more, ask the bank to pass information about the payment gateway through whom buddyapp cleared the purchase by that thief.

Take a copy of the PCR and write first to OLA cabs and then speak to OLA cabs and gather details about the driver and provide his details as a witness to be summoned by the police and take an acknowledgement from the police.

Once OLA cab driver reveals DROP location, get the police to ask the driver to identify the person whom he dropped and got paid from your card.

The rest is regular police activity and court activity.

5k to 15k for a PCR ( going through an advocate. You can file it by yourself at the magistrate court. Speak to the bench clerk at the court and he will help you or speak to the staff at the public prosecutor's office and they will help you to file a PCR without an advocate ) and general expenses for another 5k.

Total of 20K to be spent by you ( including advocate fee ) and then usually the legal pressure and jail-thought will make the accused arrange for money and pay you compensation.

But this is a case of fraud/ impersonation. Compromise is permitted so it is possible that the thief might pay you compensation and return the amount and earn his freedom instead of multiple years in jail and penalty.

You have to decide. These consume time, money and energy. You need LOT of PATIENCE and LOT of COURAGE and LOT of CONTROL OVER ANGER and LOT of DETERMINATION TO STICK TO YOUR DECISION in criminal matters.

You also need to handle lot of LIES in criminal matters along with FALSE WITNESSES.

Your family condition is known only to you since every family would have a certain level of emotional and financial strength and that is known only to you.

So, you decide. PAST IS OVER. PRESENT IS OCCUPYING YOUR MIND. FUTURE REQUIREMENTS OF TIME, MONEY AND ENERGY ALONG WITH YOUR CAREER AND OVER-ALL LIFE, is a mathematics that only you can work out.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     27 February 2017

Send complaint by email to SHO, SP, DCP,CP.

Thereafter meet the higher officials and your complaint shall be lodged.

The bank and police can help to  get the details of vendor at which card was used and who used it.

If these can help to identify and nab there is a possibility to get the money back.

Otherwise: be careful next time.

stanley (Freedom)     27 February 2017

Its difficult to recover the amount . It would be a waste of time and you would end up spending more money and time  in advocate fees without any result .

(Guest)

Just with pin information one can commit crime of theft via impersonation. And Modi wants India to go cashless? Anyways, if you are determined to nab this theif you can.  You will by end of it come to know how the system works and how much corrupt it is.  Perhaps you will think of writing letter to PM about corruption and state of affairs along with your thoughts about going cashless.  All the best.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register