Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Lalita   16 August 2024

My sister in law is possessive of my parents' new house & tries to order me around there

My father has two houses in his name-1st one in New Delhi , which he had inherited from his father.

The second one is in Faridabad which he bought himself 

We are a Hindu family. I'm a 45 year old divorced woman without children

My younger real brother got married to a Christian Indian woman in 2017. They have no children. My sister in law is 10 years younger than me

After the house warming party of my father's new house in Faridabad last year, I have been noticing that my sister in law is  possessive and extremely passionate about this new house. She does not show this passion for our current house in New Delhi where we all live

When we all visited this house recently for our weekend stay, she taunted me 3 - 4 times - "Why do I  want to to lock the door at night for security, why am I drawing the curtains for sunlight, why am I  trying to lock the kitchen door for security at night and whether I will  keep the house keys with me after locking these two doors..."

She never speaks such words in our current house in New Delhi which is also in my father's name 

This is why I found her behaviour strange which she showed in our new Faridabad house.

Both my sister in law and I contributed 50% money each for its furnishing like furniture, heater etc. initially she had tried to discourage me from contributing for its furnishing,but when I insisted she took the money from me.However she keeps buying new things for this house on her own.

My father has prepared a will this year that after my parents' death, both these houses will be given to my brother and I and we will have equal share in both these houses 

But because of my sister in laws passion towards my father's new house in Faridabad, I feel somewhat insecure and wonder whether she will even let me live peacefully in this new house after my parents death in case I go there,as she already seems over passionate about this new house

What should I do?

I have no support system from friends, or  relatives. 

My parents are too meek and timid to say anything to her because they fear that my brother might get divorced if they say anything to his wife.

I also don't want to be illtreated during my old age by my sister in law

My sister in law has created a very good impression in front of all our relatives and neighbours. So nobody can suspect her bad behaviour.

In our day to day dealings also although she is sometimes very supportive of my mother and helps me out in various ways (sometimes even without my asking ), but on many occasions without any provocation or reason she taunts, ridicules and puts me down or passes sarcastic comments on me.

I really don't understand what kind of strange behaviour she has 

Whenever my mother told her that after my parents death my brother and sister in law should look after me because I have no husband, family or children she gives very vague replies or passes sarcastic comments.

she did not say even when once that they will look after me, which makes me all the more doubtful of her behaviour 

What should I do because I feel extremely insecure and I am afraid of getting ill treated during my old age with no support from anyone

I cannot talk to my brother about his wife's behaviour because he is emotionally weak and disturbed owing  to his unstable career

Learning

4 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     16 August 2024

There is no legal issue involved  in your situation as of now.

Such things are trivial which have to be taken care as and when any event occurs, accordingly.

Any opinion given now will be an ill advise or an incorrect legal opinion hence you may wait and watch the developments and return when you are actually facing any problem and not before that

1 Like

kavksatyanarayana (subregistrar/supdt.(retired))     16 August 2024

You asked the same query in the expert's thread.  Why repeated in this section?

Lalita   17 August 2024

Because nobody had replied to my query 

So I repeated my question

P. Venu (Advocate)     17 August 2024

Yes, the query suggests mere apprehensions, but no legal elements or legal  issues.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register