LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ramanathan (x)     05 September 2024

Slr dispute

My mother purchased an agricultural property in Tamil Nadu in 1992 from the legal heirs of Person (A) through a registered sale deed. Since then, we have been using the land, which spans 140 cents, without fencing it. Recently, my mother transferred ownership to me via a settlement deed. However, when I attempted to fence the property with the help of a government surveyor, I discovered that our boundaries extend beyond what we initially thought. The additional area, approximately 60 cents, is currently occupied by Person (B) without any fencing, who claims ownership based on a 1962 SLR document. Upon checking the SLR records, both Person (A) and Person (B) are listed, with Person (A)'s name appearing first. Given that we have held the patta and paid revenue taxes for the entire property since 1992, and no other registrations have occurred since 1975 except for ours, can Person B legally claim ownership of the additional land? 

Learning

1 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     05 September 2024

If you find that the neighbor has encroached yor property then you may have to file a suit for ejectment to eject him from the occupied portion and for possession with mandatory injunction to remove the strucutrures if any in the encroached portion of property.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register