LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Swaroop (Enginner)     24 May 2013

Is rental agreement for 11 months need to be registered

In Tamilnadu, is a rental agreement for 11 months need to be registered to make it legal ?.  OR is it sufficient to get it singed on stamp paper (not even infront of notory)

I am hearing many many answeres on web, but nothing conclusive and authentic. Please help

Learning

9 Replies

sourav (nothing)     24 May 2013

sir according to registrations act  section 17 says if an agreement valued more then 100 rs should be registered . so conclusive ans is it should be registered if want to make your agreement leagly approved

Swaroop (Enginner)     24 May 2013

Is this Tamilndadu registration act ?..  Also what you mean by "value more than Rs 100".. ?

sourav (nothing)     24 May 2013

valued rs 100 means about your rent , if in your agreement the rent is more then 100 rs so you have to registered your agreement and the registration act 1908 applied to whole india except jammu and kashmir

Hemang (Advocate)     25 May 2013

Unregistered agreement is not admissible in evidence. You have to necessarily get the agreement executed and registered. That is the law.

Swaroop (Enginner)     25 May 2013

Is there any differences among states ? 

I could see lot of web postings that registration of rental agreement is mandatory in Maharashtra..  But no mention about Tamilnadu

Advocate Ravinder (Advocate/Attorney)     28 May 2013

In A.P. the position of law is that even for one month also registration is compulsory relating to lease deed/rental deed.  

Earlier the law was that for more than 11 months registration was compulsory. For 11 months and below that the registration was not necessary. As per new ammendement the law was changed. 

Swaroop (Enginner)     28 May 2013

Could you also mention the some details/links about ammendement ?. This will clarify many doubts.

Also, as per my understanding, registration of document should be done within 4 months of signing it. For registration both parties have to visit registration office.   Is there any alternative of not going to registration office ?

Advocate Ravinder (Advocate/Attorney)     28 May 2013

I will give the ammendement shortly.  Within 90 days it should be registered from the date of signing.  Both parties should visit registration office.  In some cases where the executant or the beneficiary are suffering some chronic deceases and who are not able to get up from the bed, the sub registrar will come to your residence and complete the formalities.  

Swaroop (Enginner)     28 May 2013

Thanks, will wait for the ammendement.

Is this applicable for all state.  I do see documents about Maharastra Rent Control, which says it have to be registered.  I do not think this rule is applicable to other state.

My state of interest is Tamilnadu and Kerala.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register