LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Anu Tiwarri (Personal Secretary & HR Assistant)     20 June 2014

Can my parents claim custody of me?

I am a 25 year old female working in a software company.
I had an episode of emotional unstability and depression about 4 years ago, which was treated. I was required to take admitted treatment at a psychiatric facility for 10 days.The expenses were borne by my parents.

I wish to now move out my home into a hostel because of constant disagreements with my parents and for some earned freedom.
But my parents suspect my decision comes from having a relationship with a coworker, which is not true.

Is it possible for my parents to "claim custody" of me if i move into a womens hostel citing my psychiatric illness a few years ago and possibly also blame the alleged coworker for influencing me?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Learning

1 Replies

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     23 June 2014

No one can claim custody of an adult person unless they can prove that the person is mentally unsound. In order to prove that you are mentally unsound they may bring the doctor who treated you as witness. If the doctor deposes against you, you can bring another doctor to support you. If you are mentally unsound how can you contest the case. How will a hostel accept you? Your parents want to take charge of you because they love you. There cannot be any selfish motive. Why not you patch up with them?

You say that you are a personal secretary. How can a person of unsound mind be personal secretary (to another person).

In which State and in which city are you situated? Can you not take the help of some women's NGO.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register