LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Suresh Kumar (Jr Eng)     10 August 2009

PNB Debit card hacked

I am an account holder of Punjab National bank in Kerala. The bank has issued an ATM card and I used the card at Dubai airport and some ATM machines in India also. After some time an amount of Rs 110,000 were with drawn from this acoount different days without my knowledge or consent using ATMs abroad. As these transactios happened, I was abroad. On noticing the money theft, immediately notified the bank and a written complaint was made. However five months have been passed since the bank did not send me a reply on my complaint  nor compensate my loss. I have complained to the GM customer care but they say they are not responsible for ATM fraud and directed  me to Banking transaction division. The banking transaction division is least bothered to reply me. How do I sue the bank ?or is there any legal base for my case as per Indian law?

Learning

3 Replies

A V Vishal (Advocate)     10 August 2009

Now a days credit and debit cards are being cloned, though the bank is not responsible in such cases, it happens due to callous attitude of the card holders. For 5 months, you have not done anything complaining to the bank. In such incidents police complaint is should and must, Now after 5 months of delay even the police are helpless since the criminal generally erase all trial which lead to them. I suggest you to complain atleast now, but honestly I believe that it is going to be of any use.

Suresh Kumar (Jr Eng)     11 August 2009

I have lodged a complaint to the bank, in written, the next day I have noticed theft  that is just two days after the incident. It was taken by the fraud investigation department of the bank. And most of the case it's Master Card  compensate it, as ATM was hacked and card data captured.

A V Vishal (Advocate)     12 August 2009

Please understand it is basically a criminal case, bank can only investigate to the extent where the amount was withdrawn. Since you have used the card at multiple places it is possible that the data information was stolen in these centres, th power has wider powers to investigate. File a criminal complaint stating some unidentified miscreants have defrauded you by stealing ur data information.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register