LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ashley (Head - Legal & Secretarial)     07 January 2009

Section 138

I would like to know if it is necessary to show that cheque which is dishonored for any debt due ,  i mean if a party cheque bounce can one file case under section 138 and the liability of showing that same was not due should be on accused and not with the complainant.

Please correct me and let me know the correct position and the updated judgements on the same.

Best regards

Naresh

Learning

7 Replies

Advocate.S A SIDDIQ (LAWYER)     08 January 2009

Incase of Debtdue cheques are dishonoured, the bankers has rights to taken the property in possession , you will recover the property from Debt Recovery Appellate Tribunals.

Ankur Shah (Advocate)     08 January 2009

Hi Dear,

let me tell u first that a person is only entitled to initiate proceedings under 138 when s/he had give 15 days statutory notice from date of knowledge of dishonour of cheque. thus, that person must have deposited cheque with his banker, therefore, bank must return to that  person.  the complainant only should be in possession in general case. hence, the person initiating proceedings have produce cheque to prove his case. hope i have answer to ur quarry.

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     08 January 2009

Complainant has to prove that it was a legally enforceable debt. Defendant has to prove that it was not.

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     08 January 2009

It is 30 days now.

RAKHI BUDHIRAJA ADVOCATE (LAWYER AT BUDHIRAJA & ASSOCIATES SUPREME COURT OF INDIA)     09 January 2009

I do agree with Mr. S A SIDDIQ

Srinivas.B.S.S.T ( Advocate)     09 January 2009

Once complainant proves that the cheque has been issued by the accused in discharge of legally enforceable debt then the burden of presumption shifts on to the accused and it is the burden of the accused to disporve the same. Please go through Section 139 of NI Act. Regards Srinivas BSST.

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     09 January 2009

I have an interesting case. A company filed a cheque bouncing case under NI Act against another company and only one director as against 4. This director died. During the pendency of the case, one more director died. Now the complainant wants to include 1 of the remaining two as an accused who was not included in the original complaint. Accordingly, summons was issued to him. When the facts were brought to the notice of th Magistrate, he ordered that he cannot be included as he was not an accused. No appeal was filed for the next 4 years. Then the complainant moved another application on the same lines after 4 years. This time, the Magistrate accepted the application to include him as an accused. Does he have inherent power to review his own decision after 4 years? The beauty is that the complaint had specifically stated in the application that the person should be asked to "represent the company". The Magistrate has ordered that he be included as an accused. What is going on?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register