Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Vee kay kapoor (office boy)     20 July 2024

Use of surname

1. My name in school certificate doesn't show my father's surname issued in 1985.

2. I was using my father's surname in different documents.

3. Recently through gazette notification for all the purpose, I declared my school certificate name as my correct legal name, which does not include my father's surname.

4. I got my adhaar, pan and passport issued with this name.

5.Now, 'my name' in my children's school certificate appears including my father's surname.

6. My son's name carries my father's surname also and he is issued passport with same name (with surname) and which carries my name (without surname).

7. My wife's name also carries my father's surname. Passport office raised the objection on her name carrying our surname whereas my name in her passport application carries my declared name (without surname) and asked for marriage certificate.

8. Marriage registrar office said that since her husband's name (my name) doesn't carry his father's surname so she also cannot use my father's surname and issued marriage certificate using her name with her father's surname before marriage as her name post marriage.

Now she may get passport but my worries is whether he can continue to use his grandfather's surname and what type of problems he can face? Please advice.

Learning

5 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     20 July 2024

It is a problem created by you making it complex by adding your father's surname everywhere except to your name. 

If there was no surname attached to your name then the so called surname of your son will become his full name and if his father's name is correct then there's nothing to be worried about it. 

1 Like

Dr. J C Vashista (Advocate )     20 July 2024

It is better to continue with the recorded surname and avoid any complicacy. 

1 Like

Vee kay kapoor (office boy)     21 July 2024

Sir, thanks for your reply. As per your reply, my son can use surname even if my name doesn't carry that surname, which was used by my father also.

My father's name Late S. L. Kapoor 

My name Vikas Kumar 

My son's name Kritik Kapoor s/o. Vikas Kumar 

Request for your clarification as this issue has taken away peace of my mind.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     21 July 2024

There is no legal informity in the name of your son.  You can name your son in any manner you feel so.

It is not mandatory that one has to get his name suffixed by his surname, at least not in India, therefore keeping a surname or not to your son is just a choice and not a legally mandated issue

Vee kay kapoor (office boy)     25 July 2024

Sir, 

Request you to give your valuable advice on the following issues -

My wife's name also carries my father's surname. Passport office raised the objection on her name carrying our surname whereas my name in her passport application carries my declared name (without surname) and asked for marriage certificate. 8. Marriage registrar office said that since her husband's name (my name) doesn't carry his father's surname so she also cannot use my father's surname and issued marriage certificate using her name with her father's surname before marriage as her name post marriage. Now she may get passport but my worries is whether he can continue to use his grandfather's surname and what type of problems he can face? Please advise.

Thanks.

Vikas Kumar 

Read more at: https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/use-of-surname-234911.asp

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register