Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

JASBIR SINGH (NONE)     12 December 2015

Educational expenses of child

Sir / Madam

I and my wife got legally separated by Mutual consent Divorce. As per the agreement I have paid her Rs 1700000/-. As per the agreement I am also to pay her Rs 20000/- every year for the education expenses of our child.

But now I have come to know that she is getting married. My question is - Do I still need to pay her Rs 20000/- in case she gets married? What legal formalities Do I need to complete or show in case I need not pay her Rs 20000/-.?

Please advise me on the above matter.

Jasbir

Learning

8 Replies

prabhakar advocate (advocate)     12 December 2015

I am sorry to disappoint you.  Step father, as per law, does not have any legal responsibility to meet the educational expenses of your child. You are binding to pay that amount, as it is an agreement reached in broad day light.  Had there been any clause in such an agreement that you would not be required to pay such educational expenses once she goes for another marriage, then legal position will be different.

Born Fighter (xxx)     12 December 2015

Nothing can be done now as suggested by Adv Prabhakar

Wish your wife All the Best ,you just have to spend 20k per year. So there should not be a concern as you are doing it for sake of your child.

I can understand you are felling cheated but it was you who had given the consent on the terms signed. You also move On in life brother.

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     12 December 2015

"Nothing can be done now as suggested by Adv Prabhakar"

Can U elaborate Mr.Fighter.

Dear Querist,
U cannot escape the liability of paying maintenance to Ur child till he finishes his education and secures a job for his independent living.

Mr Sainath. Im agreeing with views of Adv Prabhakar. Is there any confusion ?

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     12 December 2015

UR contradiction of Adv Prabhakar  is not justifiable,I support his version,nothing more to add legally.

Mr Sainath, where is the contradiction ???

Pls read my reply again............Im not contradicting but agreeing to Adv Prabhakars views ...........why are you still confused ?

Also are you the ADMIN of this forum to scrutinize and pass judgements ??? ...why do you always have to react to opinions posted by other panel members.....its for the querist to take a decision not you and me !

Puran Chandra Upreti (Advocate)     13 December 2015

Mr Sainath, you are legally responsible to meet educational expenses of your child.  After marriage of your divorced wife, you may file the matter in hon''ble court for custody of your child, if you wish so or continue paying the eductional expenses.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     22 December 2015

As rightly observed by learned seniors and friends, the amount agreed to pay was for the child's educational expenses and not for her that it can be discontinued once she is getting married to some other person.  Your status of biological father to the child cannot be changed just because she remarries somebody now.

As suggested by an advocate before me, you may seek the custody of the child on her re-marriage and take care of the child as well as all its expenses yourself.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register